As you go, proclaim the good news, ‘the kingdom of heaven has come near.’ – Matthew 10:7
Proclaiming the Gospel – Making Disciples – Furthering the Kingdom
Lead a life worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, making every effort to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to the one hope of your calling, one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is above all and through all and in all. But each was given grace according to the measure of Christ’s gift. – Ephesians 4:1–7
The Diocese of Edmonton is a member of the Anglican Church of Canada and the Anglican Communion. The members of this Diocese, in obedience to the Gospel of Jesus Christ and holding fast to our faith in the eternal and undivided Holy Trinity, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, commit to:
- Proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ, in word and action, to the church and to the world
- Being a community of disciples that prays for the coming of the Kingdom of God while celebrating the privilege of furthering the work of the Kingdom here and now
- Becoming a Christ–centered community of parishes and ministries that delights in the unity of our calling and the diversity of its expression, marked by deep respect, and a willingness and an eagerness to learn from and grow with one other in the power of the Spirit
- Growing corporately and individually as disciples of Jesus Christ, being both (a) the guardians of the faith we have received from the apostles, prophets and martyrs, and (b) faithful interpreters of the Gospel. This commitment embraces our expression of Anglican liturgy; the Christian education we offer for all ages, with special emphasis upon reaching children and youth, and those who are inquiring about the Christian faith for the first time; evangelism; social justice, including the articulation of the prophetic voice of Scripture; and the formation and training for lay and ordered ministries of our church.
Our Strategic Focus:
In response to, and with deep thanksgiving for our calling as disciples of Christ, and acknowledging that all growth is from God, we seek to be faithful to God’s mission in the world through Our Core Values:
- Excellence in Worship: inspirational, Christ–centered and Anglican
- Culture of Vocation: every person called to ministry
- Hospitality: receiving each person as Christ
- Stewardship: being good stewards of all that God has entrusted to us
- Evangelism: sharing our Christian faith which is too wonderful to be kept to ourselves
- Healthy Relationships: developing a strong sense of Diocesan family
- Spiritual Formation: deepening our relationship with God
Areas in need of further encouragement, effort and education:
- Growing Disciples
- Raising up and equipping leaders, both lay and ordained
- Advocacy for the distressed and disadvantaged
- Communication: using innovative technology interactively
A suggested checklist for parishes:
- Evangelism: is every parishioner willing and able to speak of their relationship with Jesus?
- Excellence in worship: is the liturgy uplifting, Christ–centered and excellent?
- Children and Youth outreach and ministry: is every young person growing in Christ?
- Growing disciples of all ages: are we offering Christian education opportunities for every person?
- Healthy relationships: is the parish a safe place for all?
- Hospitality: how is inclusive and encouraging hospitality expressed and received?
- Outreach: whom are we helping locally, nationally and internationally (at least one of each) and why?
- Stewardship of environment, time, talent and treasure: do our lives reflect the generosity we know and receive from God in Christ?
To learn more please contact:
Executive Archdeacon, Diocese of Edmonton